Your Mom's place

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Your Mom's place
Your Mom's place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A case of reincarnation?

5 posters

Go down

A case of reincarnation? Empty A case of reincarnation?

Post by Professor Higgins Tue May 19, 2015 3:44 pm

I've been fascinated with the unusual and, I suppose you could say, fringe topics ever since I can remember. One such topic that fascinated me was reincarnation and I devoured everything I could. I started with the wide eyed wonder of a child, wanting to believe, and as I grew this desire to believe was tempered with a certain amount of healthy sceptisim. I was struck by one author in particular, Dr. Ian Stevenson. The first book of his I read was called "Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation." I liked the fact that he was no Sunday Sun sensationalist (a trashy tabloid that sensationalised everything) and set his theories and evidence out in a clear and scholarly manner. One thing he showed was the correlation between birthmarks of the children who showed evidence of reincarnation and the scars and death injuries of those that had died. I've just happened upon the following case and I'd like to share it as it also includes a remarkable physical resemblance between the two subjects.

Evidence for the Reincarnation of General John B. Gordon and Fire Chief Jeffrey Keene

After a series of synchronistic events and subsequent research, Keene discovered many uncanny parallels between his life and the life of a Civil War general named John B. Gordon. (see photo)

A case of reincarnation? Jeffrey_keene_profile

Keene's story began on May, 1991, while on vacation with his wife looking for antiques. They stopped in Sharpsburg, Maryland, where the Civil War battle of Antietam was fought. Though Keene had never read a book on the Civil War before or had any affinity for that era, he felt compelled to visit the battlefield. While walking through a field called "Sunken Road," Keene had the following strange reaction:

"A wave of grief, sadness and anger washed over me. Without warning, I was suddenly being consumed by sensations. Burning tears ran down my cheeks. It became difficult to breathe. I gasped for air, as I stood transfixed in the old roadbed. To this day I could not tell you how much time transpired, but as these feelings, this emotional overload passed, I found myself exhausted as if I had run a marathon. Crawling up the steep embankment to get out of the road, I turned and looked back. I was a bit shaken to say the least and wondered at what had just taken place. It was difficult getting back to the car because I felt so weak. I did not have any answers, just questions. I would one day receive my answers, but not until more than a year later and then from a most unusual source...."

Before leaving Sharpsburg, Keene and his wife visited a gift shop where a Civil War magazine on the Battle of Antietam caught his eye and which he purchased. When they returned home, Keene filed the magazine away and did not look at it until a year and a half later. At that time, when he finally decided to look at the magazine, he once again experienced a strong wave of emotions. When he turned to a page that featured a picture of General John Gordon, Keene was shocked to see himself in General Gordon's visage. Keene learned that General Gordon nearly died after incurring multiple gunshot wounds at Sunken Road during the battle of Antietam. Keene recalled that it was at Sunken Road that he had the profound experience of grief, anger and sadness over a year before.

A case of reincarnation? Jeffrey_keene_logo

... Fifteen years before Keene became aware of his connection with General Gordon, an interesting event happened. Keene began having a severe pain in his jaw which grew steadily worse; so much so that he had to be driven to the emergency room where they ran some tests but could not find a cause. Eventually, the pain slowly subsided and then vanished altogether. This painful event occurred on September 9, 1977, his 30th birthday. Fifteen years later, Keene discovered that General Gordon was wounded in the face at the Sunken Road on September 17, 1862 during the Battle of Antietam. General Gordon was 30 years old at the time.

A case of reincarnation? Jeffrey_keene_scar1A case of reincarnation? Jeffrey_keene_scar2

Jeffrey Keene published a book on his experience entitled Someone Else's Yesterday: The Confederate General and Connecticut Yankee: A Past Life Revealed.

Read more here

I'd like to make it clearly understood that I share Stevenson's restrained approach and add that this suggests reincarnation to me, but it in no way proves it. I still want to believe, but ...

Professor Higgins
Professor Higgins

Back to top Go down

A case of reincarnation? Empty Re: A case of reincarnation?

Post by Terpentin Tue May 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Interesting topic.
I´ve read some fascinating stories about people (often children) with intimate knowledge of a dead persons past, suggesting a reincarnation.
I lack your scepticism on this issue though, for some reason I firmly believe that some sort of reincarnation does happen without having any sort of solid proof. Its just the only thing that makes sense to me...
Terpentin
Terpentin

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Higgins Tue May 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Thank you for your response and interest. Finally, someone has shown some interest in a post of mine.

Interesting that you mention children as Dr Stevenson focused predominantly on children in his studies and the memories they claimed to have seems to fade after about 6 years of age. I also recall that most of my, shall we say, more unusual experiences, happened when I was a child. Perhaps children are more attuned or haven't had the "real" world forced upon them to the same extent as we adults.

If you look into this subject and similar ones, you'll find that there are many possible theories. Take Carl Jung's Collective Unconscious for example, whereby he theorises that all memories exist within the human race and some can tap into it more easily than others.

However, I consider theories to be no more than that - theories, and any one theory may be as right or as wrong as any other. Whilst I am, as you say, sceptical, I like to think that this is the right theory, perhaps for the sake of my childhood, but I'm not wedded to it and if another theory happens along with enough weight of evidence, then I'm certainly not against changing my position
Professor Higgins
Professor Higgins

Back to top Go down

Post by Terpentin Tue May 19, 2015 4:49 pm

The way I understood it children are more likely to retain information from a past incarnation because for the infant mind the lines between the two existences are still blurred...apparently it takes a few years to fully adapt to the new self.
But like I said I´ve never read anything but stories told by folks from various parts of the world, but nothing one could consider scientific proof.

I´ll look for links tomorrow, gotta hit the sack...10pm here.

cheers
Terpentin
Terpentin

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Higgins Tue May 19, 2015 4:57 pm

cheers Terpentin

Goodnight.

Erm, what? 10 pm? it's still almost morning.
Professor Higgins
Professor Higgins

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue May 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Very interesting topic. I'll wade into it when I get some free time.
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

https://yourmomsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah522 Tue May 19, 2015 9:58 pm

I have no doubts at all, like Terp said, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Also, in case anyone hasn't seen it...

Sarah522
Sarah522

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue May 19, 2015 10:12 pm

That looks like the boy who went to Barra to see his Barra mom, is that the one?

If so, I was not wholly impressed by it and have seen other more convincing stories.

Did you hear of the recent case in, if I'm not mistaken, the Lebanon, whereby a child identified his so called killer and then found where he had been buried as well as the murder weapon?
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 pm

The concept is widely accepted in Asia, especially India. Interestingly, it used to be part of the Christian teaching but was outlawed at the Council of Nicaea. As such, belief in the West declined, but has seen a massive resurgence in recent years.

Here's an Indian boy's story.

Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah522 Tue May 19, 2015 10:32 pm

Your Mom wrote:That looks like the boy who went to Barra to see his Barra mom, is that the one?

If so, I was not wholly impressed by it and have seen other more convincing stories.

Did you hear of the recent case in, if I'm not mistaken, the Lebanon, whereby a child identified his so called killer and then found where he had been buried as well as the murder weapon?

Yes, that's the kid from Barra.  I only vaguely heard about the one from Lebanon, is that what the video you just posted is about?
Sarah522
Sarah522

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue May 19, 2015 10:42 pm

No, totally unrelated.

I've only watched a minute or two so have no idea what it's like.
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah522 Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Your Mom wrote:The concept is widely accepted in Asia, especially India. Interestingly, it used to be part of the Christian teaching but was outlawed at the Council of Nicaea. As such, belief in the West declined, but has seen a massive resurgence in recent years.

Here's an Indian boy's story.

Interesting story! I was married for 20 years to a guy who belonged to a religion that was an offshoot of the Sikhs. They definitely believe in reincarnation, which is likely how I came to believe in it.
Sarah522
Sarah522

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Why didn't he dig up the gold?

Very interesting story and, again, as in Prof's OP, the child has a birthmark resembling the death injury.
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 am

Here's another one.

One common theme that seems to run through these stories of children is that they remember events after death. So, if we accept these stories on face value, we are left with no choice but to accept another belief as well and that is the existence of spirits or ghosts.

I'm in a similar camp to the Prof, open yet sceptical!
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Terpentin Wed May 20, 2015 1:30 am

Professor Higgins wrote:cheers Terpentin

Goodnight.

Erm, what? 10 pm? it's still almost morning.

GMT+1
Terpentin
Terpentin

Back to top Go down

Post by Terpentin Wed May 20, 2015 1:46 am

Your Mom wrote:
Here's another one.

One common theme that seems to run through these stories of children is that they remember events after death. So, if we accept these stories on face value, we are left with no choice but to accept another belief as well and that is the existence of spirits or ghosts.

I'm in a similar camp to the Prof, open yet sceptical!

I have no problem to believe that either, although I think the terms are a reflection of humanities limited understanding of the universe (e.g. "ghosts" are a part of physics yet unknown).
What more is "life" but a form of energy, which can only transform, but not disappear.
Terpentin
Terpentin

Back to top Go down

Post by Professor Higgins Wed May 20, 2015 4:17 am

Sorry Terpentin, I was being facetious. I was suggesting 10 pm was very early. That dry British wit and all ...
Professor Higgins
Professor Higgins

Back to top Go down

Post by Macdougal Wed May 20, 2015 5:42 am

I love these stories!
Macdougal

Back to top Go down

Post by Terpentin Wed May 20, 2015 6:06 am

Professor Higgins wrote:Sorry Terpentin, I was being facetious. I was suggesting 10 pm was very early. That dry British wit and all ...

A case of reincarnation? 2003594920

Well that depends on what time you get up. Since I get up at 5 am, 10pm is really fucking late.
The times when I could run on 4 or 5 hours of sleep are over, I´m getting old.
Terpentin
Terpentin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum