Your Mom's place

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Your Mom's place
Your Mom's place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bread, the likes of which you will never taste

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bread, the likes of which you will never taste Empty Bread, the likes of which you will never taste

Post by Your Mom Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:01 am

When I opened up my up market restaurant, I instructed the chef (who was brilliant) to provide fresh bread for the table every day, but with one proviso: it had to be different and boy did he deliver, but he never made bread like this and I wouldn't have wanted him to.

I had a certain ingredient in stock that I decided I wanted to use today, but I was undecided whether to use it in a quiche or bread as both options would work superbly. I opted for the bread, specifically focaccia. And the secret ingredient? Black truffles!

So, this is what I did.

Black Truffle Focaccia

Ingredients:

500 grams (1 lb more or less) white flour
8 grams (1/4 Oz) dried yeast (fresh yeast can also be used, follow instructions)
1 teaspoon salt or, better yet (I didn't have any) 2 teaspoons rock salt crystals
3 average size cloves of garlic roughly chopped (I used dried garlic granules and I'll explain why later)
30 grams (1 Oz) thinly sliced black truffles
12 Kalamata olives torn in half, pit removed
Extra virgin olive oil
warm water (but what quantity? Here's the rub, each individual batch of flour will take up water at a different rate so the quantity will vary)

Method:

Mix the flour, yeast, salt, olives, garlic and truffles and slowly add warm water, mixing with a knife (the dough will not stick to a knife the way it will with a fork or spoon) until it is almost a conglomerated mass, but still dry. After washing them well, dust your hands with flour to stop the dough sticking to them, and mix the dough into a ball. You will know if it's too wet, and thus requiring a bit more flour, if it's sticky. If it's too dry, clumps will fall off and it won't glom. It may take some practice until you reach the right consistency.

As an essentially lazy fuck, I don't want to knead the dough or use a bread machine or food processor to mix the dough (the latter two methods will puree the olives and truffles), I prefer to use the no knead method and let time do all the work. With the average temperature of 28°C here (81°F), it could be ready within 12 hours, but lower temperatures require up to 18 hours or more. Even still, I like to leave it at least 18 -24 hours as the dough flavour will continue to develop.

For this much dough, I used a 12 cm (5") X 30 cm (12'') deep baking tray.

Focaccia is usually rolled, but, as I said, I'm a lazy fucker, I used a different method. (of course you can roll the dough to fit your tray, but you will damage the olives and truffles - see there is a method to my laziness)

Drizzle a good quantity of extra virgin olive oil in the centre of your tray and put your dough ball on top. Using your knuckles, push the dough down and spread evenly throughout your tray being careful not to leave high points at the edges or corners
and use your fingers to press dimples into the surface at regular intervals of about  3 cms (1" and a bit). (use your fingers to spread the high points out).
Drizzle a goodly amount (10 mls 1/3 fl oz) of extra virgin olive over the dough and spread evenly with your hand (this will stop the dough surface drying out and inhibiting rising as well as keeping your focaccia moist inside and giving an awesome crunchy crust).

Sprinkle two teaspoons of dried oregano or 8 teaspoons of freshly chopped oregano over the entire surface and leave in a warm place to rise for up to 24 hours. A good place is in your oven and, if it's winter or cold, you can put a pot of boiling water at the bottom.

Many people like rosemary; I think it's nasty, and you can sprinkle some of this on top as well.

When your focaccia has risen take it out of the oven and preheat the oven to 220 °C 425°F until it's hot. Put your focaccia in and it should be ready in about 20 minutes.

Obviously, none of you will happen to have truffles lying around in the cupboard and sun dried tomatoes in OLIVE oil (fuck soy or canola oil) isa brilliant substitute.

Please try this and give your taste buds a well deserved orgasm.

Last edited by Your Mom on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

https://yourmomsplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Bread, the likes of which you will never taste Empty Re: Bread, the likes of which you will never taste

Post by aussie Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:14 am

Oh my! I am speechless. Almost.

You are a Mom of hidden talents OMG. I could never make that. I hate rosemary too. What you say about the water is the same as making pastry as far as feel goes. WOW!

I didn't realise you were a master chef.  Shocked

Yes, you could make it.

In another life, I was indeed an international chef, working in both Australia and Europe. Now,I'm an English teacher, but the fire still burns.

And, yes, water and pastry is the same.

I have become bored with simple fare, when the taste buds can so easily be exhilarated by the addition of a few simple and well placed ingredients.
aussie
aussie

Back to top Go down

Bread, the likes of which you will never taste Empty Re: Bread, the likes of which you will never taste

Post by Your Mom Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:31 am

I neglected to mention why I used dried garlic.

Because the olives and the truffles have been marinated in brine, they continue to release liquid (and the same goes for sun dried tomatoes). The dried garlic will then absorb that excess liquid and become more tender, plus, this liquid will thus not be absorbed into the dough.
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:26 am

Today, it's langoustine on the menu,(on special for US$15 Kg - $7.20 lb) but I haven't decided exactly what I'll do with them. I'll probably make a kind of risotto or such like. Recipe to follow.
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:39 am

Or maybe I'll cook some contrá filé; I have a hankering to get my teeth into a steak. I haven't had a steak for months!
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly Golightly Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:12 am

I try to avoid fresh bread as it makes me gain weight (largely because I can't stop eating it once I start and also, the carbs), but I'll have to give it a go. I've never tried making focaccia but have been wanting to.
There's a chi-chi Italian grocers near where I live that probably stocks black truffles. And probably with fresh rosemary too, as I do love that herb. Breakfast potatoes just aren't the same without it.

And yes, soy/canola oils are an abomination. Though speaking of olives, if you have a good tapenade recipe, please share.

I've started making pasta from scratch (having had a machine for close to a decade) and for lasagne at least, there's no going back to store-bought. Already I can't stand pesto unless it's freshly made. Most people get less fussy as they age and I've only been getting worse.
Holly Golightly
Holly Golightly

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I try to avoid fresh bread as it makes me gain weight (largely because I can't stop eating it once I start and also, the carbs), but I'll have to give it a go. I've never tried making focaccia but have been wanting to.
There's a chi-chi Italian grocers near where I live that probably stocks black truffles. And probably with fresh rosemary too, as I do love that herb. Breakfast potatoes just aren't the same without it.

And yes, soy/canola oils are an abomination. Though speaking of olives, if you have a good tapenade recipe, please share.

I've started making pasta from scratch (having had a machine for close to a decade) and for lasagne at least, there's no going back to store-bought. Already I can't stand pesto unless it's freshly made. Most people get less fussy as they age and I've only been getting worse.

I very rarely eat bread and only then usually when I've made it myself. In relation to the truffles, they're really over priced and, to be honest, the subtle flavour got lost in the foccacia; I'd stick with with sun dried tomatoes if I were you.

Speaking of tapenade, I've been wanting to make some for ages. I'll post a recipe later.

You can't beat home made pasta, but it is a pain in the arse without a pasta machine and takes hours. I've included a recipe below for one of my creations for a SHTF scenario.

Canisoli

For the pasta:
For every one cup of plain white flour use one whole egg and a pinch of salt. I like to add a very tiny touch of water to make it more pliable.

Mix ingredients well until you reach a nice flexible dough.

Using a huge rolling pin, roll out pasta on a lightly floured surface till it is less than 1/16’’ or about 1mm. Now this may take a few hours. That’s why Italian nonas have such huge arms and shoulders. Alternatively, if you have one, use a pasta machine. This is the preferred method as it takes a fraction of the time and effort.

For the tomato sauce:

3 Cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 large onions finely chopped
3 bay leaves
5 large ripe tomatoes peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
1 sprig oregano
1/3 cup water
1 bunch of basil
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt and pepper to season
Olive oil

Gently heat a heavy bottom pan with a lid. Add olive oil and onions and sauté on a low heat.
When onions are translucent, add the garlic and continue gently sautéing.
When the pan starts to leave burnt deposits on it walls, add the tomatoes and stir. Add the water and put the lid on and simmer for a few minutes.
When the tomatoes have started to soften, add the oregano and cook until a thick sauce consistency is reached. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Once you have removed the pan from the heat you can add the basil ripped into small shreds. It’s important to add the basil at the end or the subtle oils will boil off along with the flavour.

For the pasta filling:
2lb minced dog meat (here I would suggest a lean cut, perhaps the rump section)
I cup of bread crumbs
1/2  tsp Ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2  tsp mace
1 small bunch of sage
2 tsp Salt (don’t worry if this seems a little high, this is only for the filling)
1 egg

Method:
First catch, slaughter and skin the dog. It doesn’t matter the breed, but that will determine the meat to bone ratio.
When the dog has been butchered, mince two pounds of the most tender parts – predominantly the rump and fillets, there’s not much meat on the ribs.
Add the breadcrumbs, finely chopped sage leaves, spices and egg.
Mix to a uniform consistency.

When everything is ready, using a small glass, cut small circles of pasta. The size is entirely up to you.
When you have used all the pasta, take one tsp of the filling and place in the centre of a pasta disk. Using a glass of water, dip your finger in the water and use this to moisten the edge of the pasta disk.
Place another pasta disk on top and, using the back of the teaspoon, press the two edges together, working your way around until it is perfectly sealed.
Do this until you have used all the pasta and/or canis filling.

Put a large pot of water onto boil and add some olive oil and 1 tblspoon of salt. When the water is boiling, add the canisoli individually through the layer of olive oil on the surface of the water.
Cook for 11 minutes and drain well.
Serve with the tomato sauce and some freshly grated sharp cheese
Perfect with garlic bread and a nice arugula/roquette /rocket/rucula salad with Italian tomatoes, slices of red onion, some basil and topped with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

The good thing with this recipe is that it will work for any wild game: cat, rat, pigeon, sparrow etc.

Buon Appetito
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:23 pm

Tapenade

200g whole black olives, preferably niçoise or kalamata (unpitted)
3 tbsp capers, well rinsed if packed in salt
2 anchovy fillets, well rinsed if packed in salt, roughly chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
Juice of ½ lemon
5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Remove the stones from the olives with a pitter or a sharp knife or, do as I do and simply tear them in half and pull the pit out. Put in a food processor with the capers, anchovies, garlic and thyme, and whizz to a rough puree. Squeeze in the lemon juice and, with the motor still running, add the oil.

Alternatively, pound the garlic, anchovies, capers and thyme together in a pestle and mortar until smooth, followed by the olives, leaving these slightly more chunky, then gradually add the oil and lemon juice, pounding between pours.

Taste, and add pepper and more lemon juice if necessary.

For something subtly different, substitute the lemon juice for balsamic vinegar.

You can use more anchovies if you prefer, but this quantity gives a balanced result without the anchovy flavour dominating.

Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Holly Golightly Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks for the tapenade recipe!

Er... dog meat?? I'll stick with yummy (and much, much larger) cows, thanks.

As for fresh pasta, the trick is to let the dough rest before working, and also, when first rolling out or running through a pasta machine, fold & roll a few times & it'll get a better texture (and add a few drops of water before folding if it's too dry). Though I haven't yet tried making it with either 00 flour, or durum semolina, I do plan to at some point.
Holly Golightly
Holly Golightly

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:09 pm

I was 19 and naive when I first visited Singapore and it was a real eye opener. Almost everything was illegal from chewing gum to long hair for males (they had a barber stationed at the airport ready to cut the hair of any dirty long haired hippie who tried to enter the country).

One day, I visited China Town and was impressed by the window display of their equivalent of a butcher's shop; there were all sorts of things hanging on hooks - chickens, ducks etc that still had their heads and feet, which was something novel for me at the time and then I saw a creature I couldn't identify at first. It was only after some imaginative reconstruction, that I realised it was a skinned dog!

I have never knowingly eaten cat or dog, but I would certainly not be adverse to trying it. Actually, I would try almost anything once. The one exception would be cockroaches!
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 am

Bread, the likes of which you will never taste 2426539038  Oooh... Why you make food trap???
Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:13 am

Hungry wrote:Bread, the likes of which you will never taste 2426539038  Oooh... Why you make food trap???

It's all part of my wicked plan, Jackie.
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 pm

The kitchen of the unwanted animal

The food truck will be along shortly. Bread, the likes of which you will never taste 374456766
Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:51 pm

^ The first sentence is a link.

Anywho, thought I would feel you up a bit before making my decision... Hope you don't mind. Bread, the likes of which you will never taste 3764026013
Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Hungry wrote:The kitchen of the unwanted animal

The food truck will be along shortly. Bread, the likes of which you will never taste 374456766

What a great opening post; shame you withheld so much.

I hope you don't mind that I've taken the liberty of reproducing so much!

Every region of the world seems to have a local critter dish liable to raises visitors' eyebrows — think boiled lobsters in Maine, dried grasshoppers in Mexico, snails in France and sheep stomach in Scotland.

In Amsterdam, two artists are trying to widen their city's list of local tasty creatures — and expand minds, too — with dishes like the My Little Pony Burger, Peace Pigeon and Bambi Ball.

Their project, The Kitchen Of The Unwanted Animal is a food truck and specialty food provider featuring animals that are, generally, considered pests and almost always considered inedible.

"I think there is a kind of block in your head because it's a pet or [an animal that's not typically eaten]," says Rob Hagenouw, 55, one of the founders of the Kitchen. "Here we have pet, pest and eating animals — and we don't mix them." But he and his partner, Nicolle Schatborn, 51, are trying to show their neighbors that these animals can be delicious, and shouldn't be wasted.
The Salt
How A Food Stylist Made Squirrel And Earthworm Look Appetizing
Asian carp, battered and fried. As the fish makes its unwelcome way up the Mississippi River, chefs are trying to get people to eat to beat it back.
The Salt
Fighting (Tasty) Invasive Fish With Forks And Knives

It all started five years ago with a wild goose stew Schatborn and Hagenouw made for an art fair as part of a larger installation. The stew got them wondering about what happened to geese and other animals that were considered "unwanted" in Holland.

"For the past 50 years, it has not been normal to eat the goose in Holland because in the [1970s] the goose was a rare animal," Hagenouw says.

You are welcome here anytime mystery guest.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/03/09/391830943/pigeon-parakeet-and-pony-amsterdam-food-truck-serves-maligned-meat?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=food
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Hungry wrote:^ The first sentence is a link.

Anywho, thought I would feel you up a bit before making my decision... Hope you don't mind. Bread, the likes of which you will never taste 3764026013

My skirt is always free for a little slap and tickle. Welcome!

Not sure if you already know me from elsewhere or stumbled upon me by accident.

Either way, you are exactly the type of poster I would welcome.

Last edited by Your Mom on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:53 pm

The woman indeed thanks you. *bows*

Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Hungry wrote:The woman indeed thanks you. *bows*

A woman to boot; we are indeed privileged.

Last edited by Your Mom on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Ah yes... We are very familiar with each other.
Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Hungry wrote:Ah yes... We are very familiar with each other.

Ah, an intimate ...

better still.

I like intrigue.

Would it be be forward of me to say you look comely in your AV?

Last edited by Your Mom on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shits and giggles.)
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Yes, yes you do.
Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:14 pm

Hungry wrote:Yes, yes you do.

I'm a tart like that.

If you're already a member, I'm gonna smack you! Repeatedly!
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:18 pm

No need for violence... I'm usually very compliant, as it serves my interest.

Also no need to fret, my dearest Mom... I am not yet a member.
Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Your Mom Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Hungry wrote:No need for violence... I'm usually very compliant, as it serves my interest.

Also no need to fret, my dearest Mom... I am not yet a member.  

Who said anything about violence?
Your Mom
Your Mom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hungry Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Shall we save that for later then? Bread, the likes of which you will never taste 2003594920
Anonymous
Hungry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum